Saturday, May 28, 2005

Feature Car of the Week: 1968 Hemi Dart

It's Memorial Day weekend, so it's only fitting that we feature an all-American car. And it doesn't get any more all-American that the Dodge Hemi Dart. These cars were true factory drag racers, specially prepared for one thing only: doing battle in the NHRA Super Stock drag wars of the 60's. Combining light weight - near paper-thin, acid-dipped bodies, virtually no interior, and plastic windows all contributed to reducing overall weight to around 2400 lbs - and roughly 600 horsepower from the prepped 426cid Hemi engines, these cars were brutally quick, producing quarter-mile times in the mid 10-second range at trap speeds over 130 MPH. This car defines true American muscle! Read more about it here.


5 Comments:

Blogger BobF said...

Shoot, I need to buy a new keyboard. I just drooled all over the one I have.

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the Yankee Peddler race in Amarillo. My grandad Mitchell used to take me to the races all the time. He also fixed up his car and ran in them every now and then.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Mae said...

Glad these cars bring back some good memories.

Bob, did you replace your keyboard yet? LOL!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was AJ ever a drag racer? I am about to try to find out.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

Stan, I don't think so. He may have dabble din it, but I don't think he ever seriously persued it.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home