Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Foibles and Follies of Talk Radio

I first recognized the folly in radio while listening to Rush Limbaugh some months ago basically telling his audience that there are no consequences to driving SUV's that get 10-12 MPG - it's a very "CONSERVative" thing to do. "Drive a big gas-guzzling SUV, even if you have no need for such a large vehicle (which VERY few people do) just because you can; just to piss-off the Left and the enviro-weenies; because they're safer," was the basic message. Sorry to tell you, but safety is in the hands of the driver, not the vehicle. But if you like them, go ahead and drive them; it is your right. But don't bitch about high gas prices. My fellow Americans still living in the US have no idea what high gas prices are. When you start paying $5 per gallon for gas, that SUV or pick-up with the V6 will start to look much more appealing. And if you like your SUV because it's rear-wheel drive and has a V8 - and that is the ONLY reason you are driving it - consider that there are quite a few cars that have V8's and rear-wheel drive that, because they don't have the weight or drag co-efficient of a brick wall, can get almost double the mileage as the SUV with the same motor. Or maybe you'll re-assess your needs using some common sense and choose a vehicle that is more commensurate with those needs. But I digress.

Sometimes it appears that there's really nothing happening in the world, especially if you're listening to talk radio. Yesterday I had to turn Hannity off because he was devoting way too much time to that dopey woman from Duluth, GA who took off to New Mexico and made a 911 call saying that she was kidnapped, blah blah blah. I'm sure you have heard the story; if you're like me, you've heard too much.

Does anybody really care? FFS, it made the nightly news here in New Zealand! Right now, I'm about to turn Hannity off again because he's still talking about it. Is this news? If so, is it news that warrants international attention?

Here are my quick thoughts. She made a false report of kidnapping - a serious situation when it's real - and then recanted her story. Mistake, cold feet, confusion - whatever - emergency resources were diverted for her bogus claims, costing taxpayers money, and she should at the very least repay law enforcement and any other first responding agencies for the time and manpower devoted to a bogus claim that was taken seriously. If nothing is done the message sent is that one can have a bad hair day, abuse the already overwhelmed 911 system, get a lot of attention from the media and law enforcement (not to mention all the volunteers who spent a lot of time, money, and resources to find her), and face no consequences. It's just wrong.

Then there was my favorite host, Michael Savage, who just went over the top about the First Lady's comic "roast" of President Bush at the White House Press Correspondents' Dinner. I agree with Savage's usual mantra of "Borders, Language, Culture," but yesterday was just one of those days where I was scratching my head over the coarse treatment of the whole affair. Hey, Mike, sometimes a joke is just that - a joke. Why look for a fight where there isn't one? Well-meaning callers who tried to say just that were attacked as well, something that ALL talk show hosts do from time to time; and that's wrong. It gives talk radio a bad name, and attacking people who otherwise support the host does nothing to advance any free exchange of ideas. If this type of behavior is done for ratings, it isn't working with me.

Commercial radio and TV are all about ratings - I know because I was in the radio business as a DJ for 3 years. I also am an advocate of freewill, and I exercise that right on a regualr basis by changing the station. I hope many other people do the same thing and that it reflects in the ratings.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura Bush was extra funny.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Mae said...

We thought so too, Stan. It would seem that sometimes the Republicans are their own worst enemies in the PR department. We thought it was a great way to lift that uptight, stuffed shirt image they have with some of the middle of the road folks who might otherwise join up.

1:01 PM  
Blogger BobF said...

That bad thing about all them large utility vehicles, there is nothing sporty about a SUV, is you have people driving them who believe that because they are so much bigger than other vehicles, they can ignore traffic laws and courtesy because they are now "safe". They will pull out in front of you, knowing that if you hit them, your damage will be much worse. They are a big hit with women who are now on power trips driving large vehicles. I mean, these people had a hard time driving their small economy boxes and now there in a 3 ton utility vehicle piloting the same streets. And, about 7 out of 10 you see driving down the road, the driver will have a cell phone stuck in their ear. I hate it especially when I drive my Mustang because these SOB's will not yield the right-of-way, almost knowing that I will do everything possible to avoid an accident but for some reason they won't try that when I drive my 95 Taurus. My wife has one of these things but I still don't like em.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

Amen, Bob! I have encountered all your observations and experiences and hold them to be true. And take all your experiences with your 'Stang, and I had them on my bike when I used to ride on the streets.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

****BIKE, as in motorcycle****

3:12 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

I have to agree with your observation of all the recent talk radio host antics. I listened to Bortz then Rush then Hannity everyday up until the Schiavo incident. I haven't listened since. They are, well… bastards when you don’t agree with their sometimes-dumb opinion (about 25%). Okay when you do (60%). And indifferent the rest (15%).

4:20 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

Tyler, the really annoying thing, besides the rude factor, is when the host cuts off the caller when I want to hear their point. It may be a point that I may encounter in a personal debate sometime, and I am not so interested in the host's response as I am in hearing the actual point to be made so that I may formulate my own response. We hardly ever learn anything from those with whom we agree. I think these guys' egos get in the way far too often.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Make your own wedding invitations inexpensively How barcode scanner works in inventory Enzo ferrari speed top http://www.france-car-rental-0.info/2006-volvo-v70-r-wagon-test-drive.html http://www.bigpicturesroses.info/volvo-suspension-parts.html Blue tooth headsets reviews farmers insurance Volvo radio Ferrari risi Ceramic heater vulcan Conferencing video computers Baccarat poker craps amp di 293 ig f6b0e4a6a16740c Black or red prom dresses How to beat the video roulette machines Buy generic tenuate sources Zithromax cat renal failure effects of alcohol when taking clomid moen faucets Most short term health insurance

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home