Friday, May 20, 2005

Barry Goldwater had the Right Idea

Quick word of apology as I have copied and pasted what I believe to be relevant to my beliefs in leadership, and to view the entire article you must register. I thought I may save you the trip to the source site, however, link below for further reading.

Final Word:

In 1964, Barry Gold-water accepted the Republican nomination for president and set the ideological trajectory of a nation on the brink of self-discovery. 'I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.' His words are more important today than ever before.

BTW this is one of Joe's favourite quotes. If only more people had heeded the words of Barry Goldwater in the 60's.

Decades of moderation have served only to blur the line between parties and principles. We need extremism - not in religious zeal, but in commitment to Patrick Henry's rallying cry of "Give me liberty or give me death!" We require a leader who is not afraid to overhaul archaic and overbearing tax codes, retool a Social Security program that is on a path towards self-destruction, and rebuild a public school system that has, for lack of a better term, failed. He must encourage private enterprise to facilitate general prosperity and he must confront evil tyrants who wish to subjugate their people and intimidate the international community.